Below you will find the NINE training videos and bonus material related to using cell phones in the classroom. Please don't share a link to this page with anyone else until after December 7.
Please don't forget this is a THREE-STEP process: 1) take the pre-instruction survey (you've already done this), 2) watch some videos, and 3) take the post-instruction survey to provide feedback on the effectiveness of the training. Thank you!
Completion of the surveys is required to access the videos. If you haven't taken the first survey, please do it now:
- Take the FIRST survey: Pre-Instruction Survey
Watch any or all of the videos. The three most important videos are To Ban or Not to Ban videos, and the Learn to Be a Gospel Library Ninja in 30 minutes or less.
Video One: To Ban or Not to Ban - Current Situation, Affective Learning, Importance of Tone
Video 2 - Learn what you should think about when deciding whether or not to ban cell phones in your classroom
Video 3 - What does the research say about what type of cell phone management policy is most effective?
Video 4 - Get nerdy with the research and find out what students say are the most effective ways to prevent or stop unwanted cell phone use in the classroom
Video 5 - Learn to use verbal and nonverbal cues to stop or prevent unwanted device use
Video 5 - Learn which class setups discourage unwanted cell phone use and why
Video 6 - Watch the first ever Gospel Library training video aimed at tips for TEACHING
Video 7 - In-depth information on how to lead a group discussion to either develop a new policy or introduce an existing one
Video 9 - Watch to the end to find out my best recommendations for cell phone policies
Cell Phone Policy Development Training Manual for Co-Teachers
Use this lesson guide to lead a four-lesson course on how to develop a cell phone policy with a co-teacher. Used to help build unity within stake teaching groups and develop bonds between teachers outside the co-teaching unit. Great for stake seminary supervisors or S&I in-service meetings.
Post-Instruction Survey - STOP! Please don't do this until you've watched at least one of the training videos above!
- Take the POST INSTRUCTION Survey - Thank you!
- Teaching Techniques - MOST IMPORTANT LINK HERE! Use these techniques to solve your most common classroom problems, like increasing participation or giving every person a turn. Each idea can be used in multiple lessons.
- Object Lessons
Breaking the Plane/Circulate
Watch the video below to find out why and how to use Circulate in your classroom:
Watch this video to see what signaling authority is:
Watch this video on The Teach Like A Champion website to see a pro-teacher signaling authority in her classroom, and read a detailed analysis of what's happening.
Teach Like a Champion - Teaching Methods Playlist (50+ videos)
Visit the whole playlist here, or watch below:
The Spirit World/Cell Phone Parking
Here are the inspiration texts for The Spirit World:
- http://www.theteachertoolkit.com/index.php/tool/cell-phone-parking-lot - Cell Phone Parking Lot
- https://www.apa.org/ed/precollege/undergrad/ptacc/no-mobile-phones.pdf - Get Your Class Back - Free Your Class From Cell Phones in Five Minutes
- Pocket Points – gives students points for staying off their phones; Free for educators and students
- Jeopardy Builder - build jeopardy games to test learning
- Quizziz – not blocked at Church, like Kahoot. Free.