By Violet Berg, with additions by Jenny Smith
Learning is deep when it increases our power to do three things:
- to know and to understand;
- to take effective, righteous action; and
- to become more like our Heavenly Father and His Son, Jesus Christ.
Deep learning must be done in the Lord’s way, through the power of the Holy Ghost and through active, diligent study and teaching of one another, attended by the grace of Jesus Christ. This is true for any kind of knowledge and for any time of life.
Some points our CES director made with regards to helping youth take effective righteous action:
When discussing doctrines/principles...
- Discuss HOW it applies
- WHY it matters
- WHY it is true
- WHAT does it mean to them - relevancy in our every day lives
- WHAT does this teach about Heavenly Father
- INVITE to ponder and apply
- Our CES director referenced two talks by Elder Kim B. Clark, "Encircled About by Fire" and "Doctrinal Mastery and Deep Learning". In these talks Elder Clark explains what deep learning is.
Download a training video of Elder Kim Clark demonstrating how to use deep learning in the classroom. Click on the download link beside "Deep Learning: A Classroom Discussion with Elder Clark". The video is about 300MB in size. Pay special attention to the questions he asks and the way he guides students in thinking about the material he's teaching.