Submitted by: Chuck Kipp
Added: September 30, 2007
Duration: 10 to 30 minutes
Goal: Score as many points as possible for your team by using a straw to blow a penny to the correct scripture mastery block.
? Placemats (25 on one page) ?Bro. Kipp?s Seminary Place home.earthlink.net/~cccckipp/index.htm)
? One penny for each pair
? One straw for each person
? Scripture Mastery Cards ? Use the cards on Bro. Kipp?s Seminary Place or use the cards provided by CES
? Chalkboard or whiteboard for keeping score
? Take the first two or three pairs that get their penny on the right scripture mastery block and award them one point each
How To Play:
1. Divide the class into pairs
2. Number the pairs and put their numbers on the board for scoring
3. Every pair should have a placemat, a penny, and each person should have a straw
4. Tell them they will be both blowing on the penny, so it may be better for them to sit across from each other.
5. Tell the class that they are allowed to ?start? their penny in any one of the four corners of the placemat.
6. Take a card from the deck to begin. Show it to them, and read the reference and clue out loud.
7. When they get their penny onto the right block have them quickly raise their hands.
8. Award the first two or three teams one point each
9. Allow them to put the penny in one of the four corners of the placemat and pick another card from the deck.
10. Make sure not to put the used cards back in the deck. This way, they can think about which references are left and place their pennies accordingly on the placemat during future turns.
– If you don?t have the placemats, you could use a piece of paper divided into a five-by-five grid, with all 25 scripture mastery references written in the boxes.
– You could use other objects in place of pennies such as cheerios, paperclips, etc.
– For more fun, after certain references, say ?Chase? and award points to the first two or three teams that find the reference. This is a good opportunity to read the reference and talk about the concepts.