Last week we were doing housekeeping things during class and did not get to cover the stories that students were reading in as much depth as I would prefer. I used this method to quickly cover 4 chapters students had read before class, as an introduction to the next chapters in Acts.
- Each zone gets two identical sets of word strips, one for the zone leader, and a second for the remaining group members.
- Zones will have 60 seconds to determine a silent signaling method to let their zone leader know in which order to place strips, keeping in mind that the signals they use could be intercepted by other teams.
- Zone Leader leaves the group. He or she must stay 4 paces away from his or her group.
- The zone leader's word strips must stay flat on the floor.
- For the first 60 seconds on timer, the group may begin to sort the slips and signal the zone leader with their scriptures closed.
- After the first 60 seconds, the group can look in their scriptures, but the zone leader may not.
- The group whose zone leader correctly orders the timeline strips first wins.
This was a fun, useful game, and it was QUIET! I find myself so relieved when we are able to play a game quietly. Phew. Those kids can get overwhelming.
I allowed texting, but you might not want to.
This was a good activity for keeping everyone involved, and we were able to summarize a lot material very quickly. You could do this activity with the Plan of Salvation, the Nephite Cycle, or any number of things.
Great for: Covering a lot of material, Determining student level of understanding, Encouraging student participation, Lesson opener, Reviewing a scripture story
Class size: Any class size
Helps Students: SEARCH the scriptures or text
Prep Time: 10-20 minutes
Student Age: Any age
Equipment needed: 2 sets of identical wordstrips for each team